Sunday, December 26, 2010

Merry, Happy: Christmas Eve.

Every Christmas Eve is spent at Blake's mother's house. This year was no exception. I always have a good time with the Irish. The wine is flowing, the laughs are plenty, and the company is perfect.

My mother-in-law has family story time each year, and each year brings a new Christmas story. This year's story, "There Was an Old Lady Who Swallowed a Bell" brought a lot of disturbing and hilarious laughs out of the group. I'm sure we created some very funny memories we'll enjoy looking back on in years to come.

We also had our annual gift exchange, which is always fun to see what everyone unwraps. I love watching people open presents. I love seeing the instant joy light up a face. Blake received his favorite cologne, 'David Beckham: Instinct' and I think my joy overwhelmed his. I begged him to please put it on, and then spent the rest of the gift exchange cuddling up to him. He smelled so good. I was given the perfect Victoria Secret bathrobe, which I immediately wrapped up in. I've been lounging around the house in it all weekend; I love it so much. Blake and I also received a new steam mop, which we're so excited to use. Our Swiffer is just way too costly, and I seriously can't wait to mop some floors!

Most of the night, however, was spent cozied up around a warm fire visiting with one another. It was so nice to be together. For some reason, it felt like decades since we had all been in a group, and I loved being surrounded by my family. I don't really even consider them as "The In-laws". They are my family.

Due to the uncanny ability we all have to chat the night away, a rare look at the clock revealed we had been visiting with each other until nearly 3AM.
We said our goodbyes, and made the drive home in the eerie fog that surrounds the lake by our house. It seems to make the trip home feel twice as long when visibility is impossible, but we soon found our beds and got some well needed rest on what was a very silent night.
-Blake and Jess.

1 comment: