Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Tattoos.

I love tattoos.
I am getting another tattoo next Wednesday, and I can't wait.
Tattoos are very significant to me. They represent a way of immortalizing something of importance. Tattoos can serve as a reminder to someone struggling in life, represent a rebirth for someone who defeated one of life's great challenges, memorialize a lost loved one, or simply be a form of beautiful and individual art.

My tattoos are very important to me. People sometimes ask me, "What happens when you get old? Don't you think you'll regret them at some point?"
No. I will never regret my tattoos. My tattoos are deeply thought out and planned. Even if I were to get a spontaneous tattoo, I don't think it would necessarily turn into something of regret, because it will always maintain a memory for me from this wonderful life that we only get to experience once.

My first tattoo. Three stars on my left wrist. These stars represent me and my two sisters. The largest star represents my oldest sister, Jeni in turquoise, the color of her birthstone. The middle star represents my sister Sarah, in her birthstone, amethyst. The baby is me, in pink.
I love my sisters very much. We've definitely had an exciting life together, full of out of the ordinary experiences that have only made us closer. I would do anything for my sisters and the same for them. We watch out for each other and take care of each other.
I feel blessed to have them as family.
My second tattoo is on my left foot. A pink gladiolus flower. The gladiolus is the symbol of strength while pink represents kindness. This tattoo serves as a memory of my Aunt Emma who passed away on July 6, 1999. My Aunt was like a second mother to me and my sisters. She watched over us and loved us so much. I remember going to her house after school when I was little and watching The Golden Girls with her, playing on the swing in her backyard, practicing the piano, and constantly asking her to have slumber parties with me because I didn't want her to be alone. She loved us. And we loved her. About a year before she died she was diagnosed with stomach cancer. She fought hard, but eventually her kidneys began to fail. She was given the option of dialysis to which she refused. I remember when she asked me to play the flute at her funeral. I remember practicing her song with Jeni on the piano while she listened to us from her bed. It is amazing to me that she was able to listen to us learn and play her song.
I remember the morning of July 6th when she passed away. At the time it seemed very foggy, but looking back I can now remember it as if it were yesterday. I remember sitting in the corner of her bedroom, scared with the events happening around me. I remember my Aunt Emma in so much pain before a serene calmness settled over her. She told my mother and DyAnn that there was someone in the room with them. She didn't know what she should do. Through tears my mother and DyAnn told her it was time to go. To let go. Shortly after, she passed away in her bed, in the comfort of her own home, with her loved-ones around her.
To this day, I definitely believe there is something more after we die. I may not be positive as to what that something is, but it makes me feel more at peace with her being gone from this world to know that I will see her again. I love my Aunt Emma. She was a truly amazing woman. Kind. Loving to all and loved by all. As closest to perfect any human soul could ever achieve.
I miss her everyday.

I'm excited to get my new tattoo.
I'm getting "As the Night the Day" in between my shoulders. It's from Shakespeare.
Think about it. I'll get back to you on Wednesday.

-Jess

No comments:

Post a Comment